Sunday, July 26, 2009

Where were *you* on the night of July 23rd, 2009?

I didn't get a chance to explore Brampton's 3rd annual Communities in Bloom Downtown Street Festival as much as I would have liked but from my spot on the first floor, my senses told me that there was quite a bit to do, watch, taste, listen and buy. The tinkling of steel drums, the clap of clogs upstairs made me a little envious of those visiting and not boothed. Unusually - and thankfully - the booths weren't on the street this year because of the “inclement weather conditions” and tents were removed as tables were positioned in Rose Theatre.

I saw Dale O'Hara there. Well, more than a glimpse. She was directly across from me so I could wave at her lots. Dale was there promoting Acres of Glass, which is a company biography of the Dale Estate and how it intersects with Brampton's history. It's interesting to watch older people walk by her booth, stop in their tracks and chat with her about the Brampton they remember growing up, a kind of compare and contrast. A place and its memories can anchor people like that.

Another one of my neighbours was the Brampton Clean City Committee. Joey and Vince, manning their table were awesome, especially with the theatrical way they appealed to kids with their waterless tattoo's. I'm glad that Brampton is putting money into educating kids about the environment and their role in conservation, especially with events like the Peel Children's Water Festival, which I learned about from Christina, another booth neighbour with the Region of Peel.

I'm learning a lot from this job so far. I thought a booth would be better but I like approaching people and talking to them, but I'm still not hearing from anyone. Mayhaps, I'll connect more with people at the next Communities in Bloom event, which is the Community Showcase on August the 13th at Chinguacousy Park. Things kick off at 6 p.m! I'm hoping to see peeps there. It's music, food and people. What's not to love?

If you see me, don't be afraid to come up and say hey. :)


The calm before the storm of people that afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment