Wednesday, July 22, 2009

While you were sleeping....

Savannah Festival of Rhythms was quite the event this past Sunday. The beautiful shiny weather was a bit reluctant to show but I'm guessing the sun couldn't help but beam once it heard the Latin rhythms that started the concert with a bang.

Those rhythms belonged to Anacaona, a 14 piece, all- lady Cuban band that rocked it out. The sun wasn't the only one unable to resist the beats as smatterings of the crowd took to their feet.

Next on stage was rhythm and blue singer Virgil Scott. If you don't know, he will undoubtedly tell you he's been in the entertainment business for 44 years and now you do know.

Last, but never least, Canada's diva Jackie Richardson and the utterly cool jazz sounds of Kollage came together to impress the crowd.

You know, I didn't know Brampton had events like this. This is Savannah's 7th year and that kind of shocks me. It's a well-run event. Not only were the performers top notch, but there were local artisans with various items from semi-precious jewellery to friend voodoo dolls to stain glass creations and not to mention the Service Canada Centre for Youth's booth. Oh! There were fantabulous visual artists displaying their work from abstract to realism and everything in between and if all that's not enough to set you going every year. The Savannah Festival is in support of sickle cell awareness. In a city of almost half a million, I would have expected - or dreamed of - seeing more people. How *does* one get the word out in this town?

This is the part where I talk about youth, being a youth liaison and all because I didn't get a strong feeling of youth there. Don't get me wrong. I saw youth there: kids running and shouting around, tweens and teenagers chillaxing on whatever was handy and young adults checking out the booths. Hey Kelly! It wasn't a youth event though maybe a family event, but not solely for the young 'uns. Perhaps the mysterious interjection is right, which is why I didn't get the young, bright vibe but some of the kids I did see, seemed taken aback or aloof and that worries me. I don't want to sound old but "when I was a kid everything was new, exciting and fresh!" Okay, you gotta imagine me shaking my finger and saying that in a voice like that old neighbour man from Family Guy - perks it right up.

I don't know. Anyone agree? Disagree? What makes you less aloof? What events would you like to see Brampton putting out there?

Catch more video clips on youtube.

Or become a fan of Brampton Arts Council on Facebook.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly. You're right. More people should come out and enjoy the wonderful events in town. Lots of good stuff happening! Thanks for being the Liaison. Perhaps your efforts will unite a bigger crowd and encourage them to enjoy the city they live in.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete