Monday, August 24, 2009

Rock Against Cancer...

Yeah, no creative title this time. I went to Rock Against Cancer this weekend. Brampton Arts Council was one of the sponsors of the event so I went there to collect some props. I could sit here and tell you all about it but I think pictures and video could tell the story much better. Words will just be the accent to colour the visuals this time but before I begin let's talk a little about what Rock Against Cancer is.

It's an event that Brampton's Rock School and Express Your Music Foundation hosts to fundraise for the cause, provide their students an opportunity to perform while recognizing peers for their musicianship, and “learn[ing] about the power of positive social change, how the small acts of a few can change the lives of many”1 according to co-owner Andrea Gavrilovic, which to me makes it compelling. You can't help but do good just by attending the event, but by attending the event you also get to have fun and enjoy some music and a community. Win win? Woot! :)

Okay, so this entry I decided to try something a little different. I posted all my pictures, some artsy, most pretty “normal” on the Picasa album and I've identified whoever I could from the event. Hopefully by the end of the week. Everyone who wants to be identified will be done.

Props:

The Karaoke Tent (donated by Pace Marathon) at the other end of the parking lot from the main stage. I'm a sucker for karaoke. It's oodles of fun no matter what fuddy duddys say! :) Clever idea: charging singers a $1 a song. :) Just the right amount.

Vendors: Tamami ko bag. Not only are the bags and note books pretty to look at – made from old kimono cloth, chic – but the lady who sells them is pretty sweet and awesome. How do I know this? Kelly, are you just plugging random people? No, I know that when I fell she came over to make sure I was okay. That doesn't sound like much, but it is.

Music: Everything was enjoyable. I think it's just good that there was, in this instance, a place for youth to perform and it wasn't all rock for the haters. :) Music is music is music.

EVERybody: for being patient, composed and toughing it out in the rain for an hour halfway through the event.

Enjoy the pictures, comments and videos! :)

1. http://rockagainstcancer.therockschool.ca/about.html

Listening to: Regina Spektor – Edit; Louis XIV - Finding out True Love is Blind; Joel Plaskett - Nowhere with You

No comments:

Post a Comment